What is involved in Governance
Find out what the related areas are that Governance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Governance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Project Governance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Project Governance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Governance related domains to cover and 161 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Governance, Social network, Data governance, Committee on World Food Security, Informal organization, Information technology governance, Political party governance, Private governance, Public management, Land administration, Contract management, Global governance, Think tanks, Mass media, Ecclesiastical polity, World Bank Institute, European Commission, Social innovation, Social policy, Sustainable Governance Indicators, Principal–agent problem, Multistakeholder governance model, Agency cost, Project governance, Clinical governance, Soil governance, Public-private partnership, Dispute resolution organizations, World Bank Governance Surveys, Project team, organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Non-profit organization, Earth system governance, Seat of local government, Political parties, Simulation Governance, Climate governance, Good governance, Public policy, New public management, Cultural governance, Board of directors, Ocean governance, Relational contract, Rule of law, SOA governance, Private sector, Participatory democracy, Local governance, Market governance mechanism, Security sector governance, Worldwide Governance Indicators, Open Government Partnership, Collaborative governance, Washington Consensus:
Governance Critical Criteria:
Survey Governance risks and shift your focus.
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Have internal procedural controls been established to manage user data access, including security screenings, training, and confidentiality agreements required for staff with pii access privileges?
– Does the organization have a written plan outlining processes for monitoring compliance with its established policies and procedures?
– How will the service discovery platforms that will be needed to deploy sensor networks impact the overall governance of the iot?
– Kpi key performance indicators opportunities. are there opportunities to use the field/table to measure performance?
– Is the data already collected/maintained or is similar data that might meet the need commonly collected?
– Is there an ongoing data cleansing procedure to look for rot (redundant, obsolete, trivial content)?
– Does the organization have a current inventory of all computer equipment,software,and data files?
– Is collecting this data element the most efficient way to influence practice policy, or research?
– Are there metrics in place to monitor and regulate it security governance activities?
– Do our cloud providers implement governance risk management and compliance GRC well?
– Should it or business drive the data governance program?
– What kind of authority does the advisory group have?
– Establishing an end-to-end data governance process?
– How does it get refreshed when there is a crash?
– What level of data will users get?
– What do we mean by Governance?
– How to build a taxonomy?
Social network Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Social network decisions and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Social network results.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Governance products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Which social networking or e learning service allows the possibility of creating multiple virtual classrooms?
– How might a persons various social network profiles be useful for learning education and or training?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Governance values?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Governance that make it risky?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Data governance decisions and pay attention to the small things.
– Who will be responsible, accountable, consulted and/or informed for decisions regarding these key enterprise data processes?
– How is the organization kept informed of information/data governance issues or decisions?
– Can this data be replaced by a better source of data elsewhere or replace other data?
– Is there value to the organization if the data is refreshed sooner or by other ways?
– Does your organization have strict hierarchical, command-and-controls protocols?
– Do you see the correlation to the centralized remote book file for the library?
– At what organizational level is it appropriate to have a new data element?
– How can we leverage technology advances from other data systems?
– The front-ends are dependent on data. how is that data governed?
– At what level is it appropriate to maintain a new data element?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– Who knows the nitty-gritty details about your systems?
– Is data subject to legislative oversight or mandates?
– How has data governance worked in real life?
– Do you use the best tools money can buy?
– What else are you trying to accomplish?
– How effective is data governance?
Committee on World Food Security Critical Criteria:
Align Committee on World Food Security goals and point out improvements in Committee on World Food Security.
– Does Governance include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Are assumptions made in Governance stated explicitly?
– What about Governance Analysis of results?
Informal organization Critical Criteria:
Systematize Informal organization failures and raise human resource and employment practices for Informal organization.
– What are the disruptive Governance technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How can we improve Governance?
Information technology governance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Information technology governance tasks and develop and take control of the Information technology governance initiative.
– Think about the people you identified for your Governance project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Consider your own Governance project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Which Governance goals are the most important?
Political party governance Critical Criteria:
Guard Political party governance visions and be persistent.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Governance processes?
– Is Governance dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How do we manage Governance Knowledge Management (KM)?
Private governance Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Private governance results and find out what it really means.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Governance. How do we gain traction?
Public management Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Public management tasks and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Public management results.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Governance? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How do we maintain Governances Integrity?
– How much does Governance help?
Land administration Critical Criteria:
X-ray Land administration strategies and find the essential reading for Land administration researchers.
– How do we measure improved Governance service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is there any existing Governance governance structure?
Contract management Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Contract management visions and forecast involvement of future Contract management projects in development.
– What are the key elements of your Governance performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Is there a view as to when the market should be re-tested for the goods/services?
– Is a disaster/back-up recovery system in place for each system?
– What are the usability implications of Governance actions?
Global governance Critical Criteria:
Unify Global governance planning and spearhead techniques for implementing Global governance.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Governance been identified and analyzed?
– What vendors make products that address the Governance needs?
– What are internal and external Governance relations?
Think tanks Critical Criteria:
Devise Think tanks decisions and point out improvements in Think tanks.
– Do Governance rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What are the short and long-term Governance goals?
– What are the long-term Governance goals?
Mass media Critical Criteria:
Match Mass media adoptions and define what our big hairy audacious Mass media goal is.
– Will any of the planned events or research findings provide a human interest story for mass media?
– Who needs to know about Governance ?
Ecclesiastical polity Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Ecclesiastical polity results and handle a jump-start course to Ecclesiastical polity.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Governance does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– In what ways are Governance vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do we monitor the Governance decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
World Bank Institute Critical Criteria:
Discuss World Bank Institute results and revise understanding of World Bank Institute architectures.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Governance is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Governance?
– Who sets the Governance standards?
European Commission Critical Criteria:
Analyze European Commission engagements and sort European Commission activities.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Governance, including any consulting or professional services?
– Does Governance systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What are all of our Governance domains and what do they do?
Social innovation Critical Criteria:
Mine Social innovation tasks and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Social innovation decisions.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Governance forward?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Governance objectives?
Social policy Critical Criteria:
Check Social policy quality and ask questions.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Governance processes of our organization?
– What is our Governance Strategy?
Sustainable Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Match Sustainable Governance Indicators tactics and look at it backwards.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Governance process?
– Why are Governance skills important?
Principal–agent problem Critical Criteria:
Trace Principal–agent problem strategies and look in other fields.
– For your Governance project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How will you measure your Governance effectiveness?
Multistakeholder governance model Critical Criteria:
Administer Multistakeholder governance model strategies and observe effective Multistakeholder governance model.
Agency cost Critical Criteria:
Group Agency cost decisions and check on ways to get started with Agency cost.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Governance strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Governance experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Governance delivery for example is new software needed?
Project governance Critical Criteria:
Dissect Project governance projects and create a map for yourself.
– Have all basic functions of Governance been defined?
– Do we all define Governance in the same way?
Clinical governance Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Clinical governance failures and change contexts.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Governance?
– How will you know that the Governance project has been successful?
Soil governance Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Soil governance outcomes and slay a dragon.
– How can you negotiate Governance successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Public-private partnership Critical Criteria:
Meet over Public-private partnership issues and acquire concise Public-private partnership education.
– How likely is the current Governance plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Who will provide the final approval of Governance deliverables?
– Are there recognized Governance problems?
Dispute resolution organizations Critical Criteria:
Detail Dispute resolution organizations quality and differentiate in coordinating Dispute resolution organizations.
– What is our formula for success in Governance ?
– What are current Governance Paradigms?
– What is Effective Governance?
World Bank Governance Surveys Critical Criteria:
Depict World Bank Governance Surveys tasks and improve World Bank Governance Surveys service perception.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Governance is underway?
– What are our needs in relation to Governance skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Project team Critical Criteria:
Administer Project team adoptions and transcribe Project team as tomorrows backbone for success.
– When we say that the traditional project team is not self-organized, no matter how complex the project is, and what level of team we are discussing?
– Can we add value to the current Governance decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do you know that your project team members are following the documented cm processes to establish the baseline and control changes to it?
– Can we say that the traditional project team is not self-organized, no matter how complex the project is, and what level of team we are discussing?
– Is the project using any technologies that have not been widely deployed or that the project team is unfamiliar with?
– Why should a client choose a project team which offers agile software development?
– Are the project teams ready to function within agile project management?
– Project Team: Who will be on the project and for which dates?
– Describe the Leadership and Motivation for the Project Team?
– Did the project team have enough people to execute the project plan?
– Did the project team have the right skills?
organization for Economic Co-operation and Development Critical Criteria:
Investigate organization for Economic Co-operation and Development results and devise organization for Economic Co-operation and Development key steps.
– Have you identified your Governance key performance indicators?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Governance?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Governance move?
Non-profit organization Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Non-profit organization failures and point out Non-profit organization tensions in leadership.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Governance process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Governance process available?
Earth system governance Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Earth system governance tactics and sort Earth system governance activities.
– Does Governance analysis show the relationships among important Governance factors?
– How would one define Governance leadership?
Seat of local government Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Seat of local government failures and probe the present value of growth of Seat of local government.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Governance?
Political parties Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Political parties results and separate what are the business goals Political parties is aiming to achieve.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Governance into the services that we provide?
Simulation Governance Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Simulation Governance visions and correct better engagement with Simulation Governance results.
– Will Governance deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Climate governance Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Climate governance failures and oversee Climate governance management by competencies.
– Are there Governance Models?
Good governance Critical Criteria:
Merge Good governance issues and forecast involvement of future Good governance projects in development.
Public policy Critical Criteria:
Scan Public policy management and intervene in Public policy processes and leadership.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Governance project?
New public management Critical Criteria:
Judge New public management risks and create New public management explanations for all managers.
– Among the Governance product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Cultural governance Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Cultural governance goals and separate what are the business goals Cultural governance is aiming to achieve.
– How can the value of Governance be defined?
Board of directors Critical Criteria:
Gauge Board of directors tasks and question.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Governance agendas for the next 3 years?
– What key measures should we include in our annual report to our Board of Directors?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Governance opportunities costing us money?
Ocean governance Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Ocean governance quality and document what potential Ocean governance megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How do we Improve Governance service perception, and satisfaction?
– What threat is Governance addressing?
– How to Secure Governance?
Relational contract Critical Criteria:
Frame Relational contract outcomes and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Relational contract information.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Governance services/products?
Rule of law Critical Criteria:
Consult on Rule of law decisions and get out your magnifying glass.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Governance effort?
– What will drive Governance change?
SOA governance Critical Criteria:
Adapt SOA governance planning and test out new things.
Private sector Critical Criteria:
Merge Private sector adoptions and be persistent.
– Is Supporting Governance documentation required?
Participatory democracy Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Participatory democracy risks and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Participatory democracy projects.
– How do we go about Securing Governance?
Local governance Critical Criteria:
Investigate Local governance tactics and finalize the present value of growth of Local governance.
– What are our Governance Processes?
Market governance mechanism Critical Criteria:
Check Market governance mechanism outcomes and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Market governance mechanism.
– Which customers cant participate in our Governance domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Security sector governance Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Security sector governance visions and prioritize challenges of Security sector governance.
– Is there a Governance Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Worldwide Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Think about Worldwide Governance Indicators planning and give examples utilizing a core of simple Worldwide Governance Indicators skills.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Governance processes?
– Think of your Governance project. what are the main functions?
Open Government Partnership Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Open Government Partnership risks and overcome Open Government Partnership skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Governance activities?
Collaborative governance Critical Criteria:
Sort Collaborative governance goals and get going.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Governance project manager?
Washington Consensus Critical Criteria:
Probe Washington Consensus governance and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Washington Consensus information.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Governance process?
– Is the Governance organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Project Governance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Governance External links:
Leadership and Governance – Wells Fargo
DMS | Governance | Risk | Compliance
Home – Tribal Self-Governance
Social network External links:
Hi5 – The social network for meeting new people 🙂
Data governance External links:
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from …
Data Governance – Do Job Titles Matter? – DATAVERSITY
7 Best Practices for Data Governance in Healthcare
Committee on World Food Security External links:
Committee on World Food Security | IFOAM
Committee on World Food Security – CFS – Home | Facebook
CFS Homepage | Committee on World Food Security
Informal organization External links:
Informal organization | Britannica.com
Information technology governance External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Governance
105.200 – Information Technology Governance
Political party governance External links:
On Malawi political party governance | Malawi Nyasa …
Private governance External links:
Public & Private Governance Flashcards | Quizlet
Ed Stringham: Private Governance | Mises Institute
Public management External links:
CBPM Home – College of Business and Public Management
About Public Management (PM) Magazine | icma.org
Land administration External links:
Trimble Land Administration Careers
Land administration (Book, 1999) [WorldCat.org]
Land Administration | Pettigrew & Pettigrew Land Services
Contract management External links:
What is Contract Management? – Business News Daily
[PDF]Contract Management Manual – September 2016
Global governance External links:
CFR Unveils Global Governance Agenda – Infowars
The Challenge of Global Governance | The Nation
Global Governance, Risk & Compliance | Exiger
Think tanks External links:
On Think Tanks | Winterschool for thinktankers 2018 – …
Think Tank Watch: Are Think Tanks Obsolete?
Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program – Official Site
Mass media External links:
Digital Mass Media – Hawkeye Community College
Amhara Mass Media Agency – Home | Facebook
Communication & Mass Media Complete | Rutgers …
Ecclesiastical polity External links:
Of the laws of ecclesiastical polity – Internet Archive
Ecclesiastical Polity Archives – The Calvinist International
World Bank Institute External links:
World Bank Institute Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
European Commission External links:
REACH – Chemicals – Environment – European Commission
European Commission (@EU_Commission) | Twitter
Social innovation External links:
Centre for Social Innovation – Official Site
Impact India | Stanford Social Innovation Review
ASME ISHOW – Hardware Led Social Innovation
Social policy External links:
Ch 17: Social Policy Flashcards | Quizlet
Welcome | Center For Social Policy & Community …
Center for Law and Social Policy | CLASP
Multistakeholder governance model External links:
Agency cost External links:
[PDF]CHAPTER 32 HOME HEALTH AGENCY COST REPORT
[PDF]Federal Emergency Management Agency Cost …
7-3 Federal Agency Cost Code – USPS
Project governance External links:
[PDF]IT Project Governance Manual Version 1
400: IT PROJECT GOVERNANCE – OIT
Project Governance Plans: Execution and Oversight
Clinical governance External links:
Clinical governance (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PPT]Clinical Governance – University of Pittsburgh
Public-private partnership External links:
Public-Private Partnership Conference & Expo – Exhibit
Public-Private Partnerships – Investopedia
BGCA – Military Public-Private Partnership
World Bank Governance Surveys External links:
World Bank Governance Surveys – PDF documents
World Bank Governance Surveys – WOW.com
Project team External links:
How to Pick Project Team Members | Chron.com
Non-profit organization External links:
Home – Non-Profit Organization 403(b) – Fidelity Investments
Earth system governance External links:
Earth System Governance Project – Home | Facebook
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
Earth system governance. Ruling climate across society
Political parties External links:
Chapter 29A.80 RCW: POLITICAL PARTIES
Political parties and interest groups – LA Times
When Political Parties Splinter | FiveThirtyEight
Simulation Governance External links:
[PDF]Simulation governance: New technical …
Simulation Governance | Industries | UL
Simulation Governance Althea de Souza – ESRD
Climate governance External links:
Experiments in climate governance – A systematic review …
Climate Governance Initiative – 4 Photos – Organization
Good governance External links:
ISEGG – Institute for Service Excellence and Good Governance
The Good Governance Awards, 2017
Public policy External links:
AT&T Public Policy – Official Site
DSU College of Education, Health & Public Policy
Public Policy – Ballotpedia
New public management External links:
New public management (Book, 2000) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]New Public Management – University Professor
What is New Public Management (NPM) | IGI Global
Cultural governance External links:
Stephen Kinnane – Cultural Governance Program @ …
Tools. Cultural Governance. BioC strengthens Indigenous and non-Indigenous capacity, simultaneously, to gain short, medium and long-term agreed outcomes in terms of the governance issues confronting many Indigenous groups, communities and organisations.
[PDF]Cultural Governance and Development in Vietnam
Board of directors External links:
Elizabeth Duke Biography – Board of Directors – Wells Fargo
TVA – Board of Directors
What Positions Make Up a Board of Directors? | Chron.com
Ocean governance External links:
Ocean Governance for Sustainability – Challenges, …
Why people matter in ocean governance: Incorporating …
Ocean Governance | U.S. Department of the Interior
Relational contract External links:
[PDF]RELATIONAL CONTRACT THEORY AND TREATY …
Relational Contract Theory and Management Contracts…
Rule of law External links:
The rule of law (Book, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
The Rule of Law (2012) – IMDb
The Rule of Law – The Orwell Prize
SOA governance External links:
SOA governance technologies – Gartner IT Glossary
SOA Governance Integration – msdn.microsoft.com
SOA What? Why You Need an SOA Governance Framework | CIO
Private sector External links:
What is private sector? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Private Sector | FEMA.gov
Federal Agency (Non-Private Sector Employers) …
Participatory democracy External links:
The Moment for Participatory Democracy | Stanford …
Local governance External links:
DeLoG – Decentralisation & Local Governance
[PDF]LOCAL GOVERNANCE ACT – navajochapters.org
Local Governance Act Certification – NNDCD
Security sector governance External links:
Security sector governance (SSG) is a subpart concept or framework of governance and security governance that focuses specifically on decisions about security and their implementation within the security sector (i.e. police, border guard, armed forces, intelligence agencies etc.) of a single state.
Worldwide Governance Indicators External links:
The Worldwide Governance Indicators (WGI) project – 2010
Worldwide Governance Indicators (WGI) – …
Open Government Partnership External links:
Open Government Partnership – Official Site
About OGP | Open Government Partnership
Open Government Partnership/Armenia, …
Collaborative governance External links:
“Collaborative Governance and Anticorruption in …
Welcome to Collaborative Governance
Consortium on Collaborative Governance | Bedrosian …
Washington Consensus External links:
Beyond The Washington Consensus | NACLA
Washington Consensus | economics | Britannica.com
Washington Consensus – International Political Economy