What is involved in Revenue Assurance
Find out what the related areas are that Revenue Assurance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Revenue Assurance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Revenue Assurance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Revenue Assurance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Revenue Assurance related domains to cover and 98 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Revenue Assurance, Cash flow, Complex system, Data quality, Federal Communications Commission, Internet service provider, Profit, Revenue, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Telecommunication:
Revenue Assurance Critical Criteria:
Talk about Revenue Assurance engagements and perfect Revenue Assurance conflict management.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Revenue Assurance processes?
– What are the barriers to increased Revenue Assurance production?
– What threat is Revenue Assurance addressing?
Cash flow Critical Criteria:
Test Cash flow quality and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Cash flow decisions.
– What are the major differences between cash flow analyses for an expansion project and those for a replacement project?
– Should analysts measure cash flows of capital budgeting projects from the viewpoint of the subsidiary or the parent?
– Include all projected income and all projected cash disbursements (payments) Hows your cash flow?
– Are earnings and cash flows sufficient to cover interest payments and some principal repayments?
– What is the appropriate treatment of recaptured NOWC in terms of computing terminal cash flows?
– What are the tax benefits of depreciation and how do they play into cash flow calculations?
– Should the firm include the cost of the land in estimating the cash flows of the project?
– Why should the capital budgeting process use cash flows instead of accounting profits?
– What is the difference between conventional and unconventional cash flow patterns?
– Why should corporate managers consider only incremental, after-tax cash flows?
– Is Revenue Assurance Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Should financing costs be considered when measuring a projects cash flows?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Revenue Assurance activities?
– What are the cash flows from investing and financing activities?
– Which costs should be included in incremental cash flows?
– Should sunk costs be included when estimating cash flows?
– How can skill-level changes improve Revenue Assurance?
– How do cash flow problems start?
Complex system Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Complex system leadership and budget for Complex system challenges.
– How much testing is necessary in order to expose all the potential failure modes and situations of highly integrated complex systems?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Revenue Assurance delivery for example is new software needed?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Revenue Assurance goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Complex interventions or complex systems?
– Do we have past Revenue Assurance Successes?
Data quality Critical Criteria:
Face Data quality tactics and slay a dragon.
– How will you handle the legal implications? What are the challenges associated with Data Quality or with working alongside legacy systems?
– Are data sufficiently precise to present a fair picture of performance and enable management decision-making at the appropriate levels?
– At all levels at which data are aggregated, are procedures in place to reconcile discrepancies in reports?
– Can a decision (or estimate) be made with the desired level of certainty, given the quality of the data?
– Does clear documentation of collection, aggregation, and manipulation steps exist?
– Is data recorded with sufficient precision/detail to measure relevant indicators?
– Which items are subject to revision either by editing or updating data values?
– What types of decision errors could I make in a statistical hypothesis test?
– Does the observed (discrete) distribution match the assumed distribution?
– What is the typical reimbursement for sharing your data?
– Are people involved in the development identified?
– Verification: is the data complete and correct?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– What do we mean by Data Quality ?
– Why do we want to manage data?
– Where is the domain expertise?
– How to handle censored data?
– Do we do data profiling?
– What is spent on it?
– What Can Go Wrong?
Federal Communications Commission Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Federal Communications Commission decisions and proactively manage Federal Communications Commission risks.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Revenue Assurance?
– What is our Revenue Assurance Strategy?
Internet service provider Critical Criteria:
Graph Internet service provider tasks and customize techniques for implementing Internet service provider controls.
– Does Revenue Assurance systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Are there recognized Revenue Assurance problems?
– What are current Revenue Assurance Paradigms?
Profit Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Profit goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Can we establish a new market segmentation strategy focused on potential profitability and willingness to purchase?
– How can we better deploy our employees to drive improved profit margins?
– How is LTV calculated and how does it differ from ROI and profitability?
– How is this new item going to grow sales and profits for our retailers?
– How can we measure profitablity for our customers?
– What do profitability ratios measure?
– Who are your most profitable Clients?
– Is the balance of retained profits?
– Is the profit margin holding?
– Effect on category profits?
– Profit motive or altruism?
– Is gross profit holding?
– Do we have bad profits?
Revenue Critical Criteria:
Devise Revenue visions and question.
– Will our actions, process, program or procedure result in the loss of revenue, workforce downtime, litigation, or increased resource expenditure?
– Does Revenue Assurance analysis show the relationships among important Revenue Assurance factors?
– Are we taking our company in the direction of better and revenue or cheaper and cost?
– What percentage of revenues is generated from services provided by sub-contractors?
– Are you taking your company in the direction of better and revenue or cheaper and cost?
– How well are the companys assets being employed to generate sales revenue?
– Are you achieving the sales revenue per channel partner that you expect?
– What are some of the ways CRM increases our companys revenues?
– How well are assets being used to generate sales revenue?
– Is revenue recognition aggressive or conservative?
– When should the revenue be recognized?
– How does the firm measure revenues?
– How are revenue variances computed?
– What was revenue for the year?
Sarbanes-Oxley Act Critical Criteria:
Track Sarbanes-Oxley Act planning and find out.
– Is there a Revenue Assurance Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How do we measure improved Revenue Assurance service perception, and satisfaction?
– How will you know that the Revenue Assurance project has been successful?
Telecommunication Critical Criteria:
Chart Telecommunication risks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Telecommunication.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– How does each element of our Telecommunications (TC) and Data Communications affect the basic structure of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (C.I.A.)?
– Are interdependent service providers (for example, fuel suppliers, telecommunications providers, meter data processors) included in risk assessments?
– What is the proper regulatory classification for voip services (telecommunications or value-added)?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Revenue Assurance process?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Revenue Assurance project?
– Voip – telecommunications or value added service?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Revenue Assurance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Revenue Assurance External links:
Revenue assurance (eJournal / eMagazine, 1990s) …
Revenue assurance (RA) is a niche business activity most commonly undertaken within businesses that provide telecommunication services. The activity is the use of data quality and process improvement methods that improve profits, revenues and cash flows without influencing demand.
Revenue Assurance Manager – O2 Careers
Cash flow External links:
Free Cash Flow – FCF – Investopedia
Moen – Cash Flow Rewards
Cash Flow (2012) – IMDb
Complex system External links:
Information Modeling and Control of Complex Systems …
ERIC – Observing Complex Systems Thinking in the Zone …
What is a Complex System? – YouTube
Data quality External links:
Data quality (Book, 2001) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Business Performance & Data Quality Metrics
Federal Communications Commission External links:
Federal Communications Commission | The United …
[PDF]Federal Communications Commission FCC 17-126 …
Federal Communications Commission – AllGov
Internet service provider External links:
Internet Service Provider in Atlanta, GA | Google Fiber
NetWest Online, Inc – Premier Internet Service Provider
ProValue.net – Rural High Speed Internet Service Provider
Profit External links:
BetterInvesting – Non-profit Investment Education
Revenue External links:
Georgia Department of Revenue – Official Site
AZDOR – Arizona Department of Revenue
SC Department of Revenue
Sarbanes-Oxley Act External links:
The Sarbanes-Oxley Act – YouTube
Sarbanes-Oxley Act Of 2002 – SOX – Investopedia
Sarbanes-Oxley Act Email Retention Policies – Intradyn
Telecommunication External links:
Laboratory For Telecommunication Sciences
Business Telecommunication and Security | New Albany, MS | ASI