What is involved in Secure by design
Find out what the related areas are that Secure by design connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Secure by design thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Secure by design journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Secure by design leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Secure by design related domains to cover and 163 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Secure by design, Web server, Intrusion detection system, Application security, Linus’ law, Computer crime, Format string attack, Computer code, Undefined behavior, Denial of service, Mobile secure gateway, Software Security Assurance, Best coding practices, Security by design, Computer worm, Cyber security standards, SQL injection, Malicious user, Logic bomb, Mobile security, Security-focused operating system, Cryptographic hash function, Multi-factor authentication, Software design, Trojan horse, Secure by default, Antivirus software, Buffer overflow, Security through obscurity, Data-centric security, Call stack, User identifier, Software engineering, Intrusion prevention system, Computer security, Dog food, Principle of least privilege, Secure by design, Network security, Computer network, Information security, Operating system shell, Home directory, Computer access control, Multiple Independent Levels of Security, Internet security, Screen scrape, C standard library, Computer virus, Secure coding:
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Look at Secure by design risks and get the big picture.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Secure by design ?
– What is Effective Secure by design?
– Is Secure by design Required?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Study Web server goals and observe effective Web server.
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Secure by design objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Does Secure by design create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Intrusion detection system tasks and transcribe Intrusion detection system as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Secure by design strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Secure by design delivery for example is new software needed?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– Why should we adopt a Secure by design framework?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Face Application security decisions and know what your objective is.
– Is Secure by design dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– Are assumptions made in Secure by design stated explicitly?
Linus’ law Critical Criteria:
Group Linus’ law leadership and observe effective Linus’ law.
– Will Secure by design have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Secure by design processes of our organization?
– Does the Secure by design task fit the clients priorities?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Mine Computer crime visions and separate what are the business goals Computer crime is aiming to achieve.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Secure by design?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Secure by design been identified and analyzed?
– How can you measure Secure by design in a systematic way?
Format string attack Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Format string attack adoptions and tour deciding if Format string attack progress is made.
– Does Secure by design systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Who sets the Secure by design standards?
Computer code Critical Criteria:
Sort Computer code outcomes and optimize Computer code leadership as a key to advancement.
– While it seems technically very likely that smart contracts can be programmed to execute the lifecycle events of a financial asset, and that those assets can be legally enshrined in computer code as a smart asset, how are they governed by law?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Secure by design?
– Is there a Secure by design Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Secure by design project?
Undefined behavior Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Undefined behavior results and question.
– How can you negotiate Secure by design successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What vendors make products that address the Secure by design needs?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Study Denial of service visions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Denial of service information.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– Does Secure by design appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Mine Mobile secure gateway strategies and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Mobile secure gateway.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Secure by design into the services that we provide?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Secure by design, including any consulting or professional services?
– In what ways are Secure by design vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
Software Security Assurance Critical Criteria:
Frame Software Security Assurance goals and do something to it.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Secure by design services/products?
– What is our formula for success in Secure by design ?
– Are we Assessing Secure by design and Risk?
Best coding practices Critical Criteria:
Align Best coding practices visions and point out Best coding practices tensions in leadership.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Secure by design project?
– What are the long-term Secure by design goals?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Add value to Security by design adoptions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Secure by design process?
– What is the purpose of Secure by design in relation to the mission?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Computer worm management and look at the big picture.
– Does our organization need more Secure by design education?
– Is a Secure by design Team Work effort in place?
Cyber security standards Critical Criteria:
Look at Cyber security standards decisions and display thorough understanding of the Cyber security standards process.
– Consider your own Secure by design project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Secure by design experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are the business goals Secure by design is aiming to achieve?
SQL injection Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to SQL injection visions and assess what counts with SQL injection that we are not counting.
– Are controls implemented on the server side to prevent sql injection and other bypassing of client side-input controls?
– Does Secure by design analysis show the relationships among important Secure by design factors?
– What threat is Secure by design addressing?
– Is the scope of Secure by design defined?
Malicious user Critical Criteria:
Own Malicious user issues and give examples utilizing a core of simple Malicious user skills.
– Is there an account-lockout mechanism that blocks a maliCIOus user from obtaining access to an account by multiple password retries or brute force?
– When authenticating over the internet, is the application designed to prevent maliCIOus users from trying to determine existing user accounts?
– Is there any existing Secure by design governance structure?
– How do we go about Comparing Secure by design approaches/solutions?
– Why are Secure by design skills important?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Logic bomb management and catalog what business benefits will Logic bomb goals deliver if achieved.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Secure by design processes?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Secure by design?
– How can the value of Secure by design be defined?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Mobile security quality and define what do we need to start doing with Mobile security.
– How important is Secure by design to the user organizations mission?
– How do we keep improving Secure by design?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Security-focused operating system tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Security-focused operating system is getting what it needs.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Secure by design move?
– Who will provide the final approval of Secure by design deliverables?
Cryptographic hash function Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Cryptographic hash function tasks and look in other fields.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Secure by design process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Secure by design process available?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Secure by design? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What are specific Secure by design Rules to follow?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Probe Multi-factor authentication risks and remodel and develop an effective Multi-factor authentication strategy.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Secure by design forward?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– What are internal and external Secure by design relations?
– What will drive Secure by design change?
Software design Critical Criteria:
Talk about Software design strategies and overcome Software design skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Is Supporting Secure by design documentation required?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Trojan horse planning and spearhead techniques for implementing Trojan horse.
– How likely is the current Secure by design plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Secure by default Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Secure by default tactics and pay attention to the small things.
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Antivirus software outcomes and probe the present value of growth of Antivirus software.
– How do we Identify specific Secure by design investment and emerging trends?
– How do we manage Secure by design Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How do we go about Securing Secure by design?
Buffer overflow Critical Criteria:
Mix Buffer overflow quality and pioneer acquisition of Buffer overflow systems.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Secure by design workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Security through obscurity Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Security through obscurity projects and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Security through obscurity projects.
– How can skill-level changes improve Secure by design?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Map Data-centric security leadership and arbitrate Data-centric security techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– what is the best design framework for Secure by design organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
Call stack Critical Criteria:
Confer over Call stack risks and balance specific methods for improving Call stack results.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Secure by design activities?
User identifier Critical Criteria:
Dissect User identifier planning and track iterative User identifier results.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Secure by design effort?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Shape Software engineering strategies and oversee Software engineering requirements.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Secure by design is underway?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Why is Secure by design important for you now?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Intrusion prevention system tactics and plan concise Intrusion prevention system education.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– Do we monitor the Secure by design decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– How will you measure your Secure by design effectiveness?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Computer security tasks and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Computer security services.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Do those selected for the Secure by design team have a good general understanding of what Secure by design is all about?
– How to Secure Secure by design?
Dog food Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Dog food tactics and differentiate in coordinating Dog food.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Secure by design leader?
– In a project to restructure Secure by design outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What is the source of the strategies for Secure by design strengthening and reform?
Principle of least privilege Critical Criteria:
Consider Principle of least privilege leadership and intervene in Principle of least privilege processes and leadership.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Secure by design product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What about Secure by design Analysis of results?
Secure by design Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Secure by design projects and find out what it really means.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Secure by design study?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Guide Network security failures and arbitrate Network security techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Secure by design products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– How do we know that any Secure by design analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Judge Computer network management and separate what are the business goals Computer network is aiming to achieve.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Secure by design. How do we gain traction?
– Is maximizing Secure by design protection the same as minimizing Secure by design loss?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Dissect Information security tactics and improve Information security service perception.
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Do we maintain our own threat catalogue on the corporate intranet to remind employees of the wide range of issues of concern to Information Security and the business?
– Is a risk treatment plan formulated to identify the appropriate mgmt action, resources, responsibilities and priorities for managing information security risks?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is mgmt able to determine whether security activities delegated to people or implemented by information security are performing as expected?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Does your company have a current information security policy that has been approved by executive management?
– Are we requesting exemption from or modification to established information security policies or standards?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (CISO or equivalent title)?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– What business benefits will Secure by design goals deliver if achieved?
– Is information security an it function within the company?
– What is the goal of information security?
– What is information security?
Operating system shell Critical Criteria:
Read up on Operating system shell governance and get answers.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Secure by design strengthening and reform actually originate?
Home directory Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Home directory planning and catalog Home directory activities.
– Who needs to know about Secure by design ?
– How would one define Secure by design leadership?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Detail Computer access control visions and catalog Computer access control activities.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Secure by design opportunities costing us money?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Secure by design Management?
Multiple Independent Levels of Security Critical Criteria:
Debate over Multiple Independent Levels of Security strategies and remodel and develop an effective Multiple Independent Levels of Security strategy.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Secure by design values?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Internet security results and ask questions.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Secure by design? There might be some that are less obvious?
– To what extent does management recognize Secure by design as a tool to increase the results?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Match Screen scrape engagements and integrate design thinking in Screen scrape innovation.
– When a Secure by design manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How do we Lead with Secure by design in Mind?
C standard library Critical Criteria:
Think about C standard library outcomes and document what potential C standard library megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Secure by design objectives?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Shape Computer virus outcomes and figure out ways to motivate other Computer virus users.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Secure by design process?
– Is the Secure by design organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Secure coding strategies and learn.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Secure by design Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Secure by design External links:
LMD Architects – Secure By Design
Legolas Exchange, Fair and Secure By Design
Secure by Design – Home | Facebook
Web server External links:
Web Server Launch Page – Antelope Valley College
What is Web server? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Accessing the HP Embedded Web Server – HP Inc.
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System Design and Installation
Application security External links:
BLM Application Security System
Chrome Rewards – Application Security – Google
What is application security? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Computer crime External links:
Computer crime legal definition of computer crime
Computer Crime Info – Official Site
What is a Computer Crime? (with pictures) – wiseGEEK
Format string attack External links:
Format String Attack – WhiteHat Security
Format string attack – OWASP
Computer code External links:
Mustang Computer Code Identification by Year (1987-Present)
Teach U.S. kids to write computer code – CNN
HTML Computer Code Elements – W3Schools
Undefined behavior External links:
Undefined behavior – cppreference.com
Why are these constructs (using ++) undefined behavior in C?
Undefined Behavior – OWASP
Denial of service External links:
Cisco ASA Software SSL/TLS Denial of Service Vulnerability
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
Mobile secure gateway External links:
TeskaLabs – Mobile Secure Gateway
Mobile secure gateway – Gateway (kb) – startupcto.io
Mobile secure gateway – WOW.com
Software Security Assurance External links:
Importance of Software Security Assurance | Oracle
Software Security Assurance – Bruce Jenkins – YouTube
Security by design External links:
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Computer worm External links:
What is computer worm? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Computer worm | computer program | Britannica.com
Stuxnet | computer worm | Britannica.com
Cyber security standards External links:
Cyber Security Standards | NIST
Cyber security standards – ScienceDaily
SQL injection External links:
SQL Injection – W3Schools
SQL Injection Cheat Sheet & Tutorial | Veracode
SQL Injection Bypassing WAF – OWASP
Malicious user External links:
What Is a Malicious User? – dummies
Import This Malicious User-Agent String Feed | RSA Link
Logic bomb External links:
What Is a Logic Bomb? Explanation & Prevention
‘Logic Bomb’ Dropped On Brokerage – CBS News
Logic Bomb Set Off South Korea Cyberattack | WIRED
Mobile security External links:
The Arlo Go Mobile Security Camera uses Verizon’s 4G LTE network to supply HD live streams or cloud-stored recordings.
Find Your Lost or Stolen Android Device | AVG Mobile Security
Lookout Mobile Security
Cryptographic hash function External links:
Bitcoin – Cryptographic hash function – YouTube
9-7.4 Cryptographic Hash Function – USPS
What Is a Cryptographic Hash Function? – Lifewire
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Software design External links:
The Nerdery | Custom Software Design and Development
Custom Software Design & Development | FrogSlayer
Devbridge – Custom software design and development
Trojan horse External links:
Luv – Trojan Horse [TOPPOP 1978] – YouTube
Robert Reich (TRUMP’S TROJAN HORSE TAX CUT The …
Antivirus software External links:
Best Antivirus Software Reviews – Consumer Reports
Best Antivirus 2018 – Top Antivirus Software
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Buffer overflow External links:
ORA-20000 ORU-10027 buffer overflow limit of 2000 bytes
Security through obscurity External links:
What is “security through obscurity”
Data-centric security External links:
Data-centric security for Hadoop, SQL and Big Data
DgSecure Data-Centric Security Platform | Dataguise
User identifier External links:
User identifier – YouTube
Need help finding the User Identifier Type code table.
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS)
Intrusion prevention system
http://Intrusion prevention systems (IPS), also known as intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDPS), are network security appliances that monitor network and/or system activities for malicious activity. The main functions of intrusion prevention systems are to identify malicious activity, log information about this activity, attempt to block/stop it, and report it.
How does an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) work? – Quora
Computer security External links:
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Dog food External links:
Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis 2018 – Pet Food Talk
Dog Food Advisor – Official Site
Natural Dog Food & Cat Food | Nutrish Pet Food
Secure by design External links:
Manning | Secure by Design
Secure by Design, Nelson, BC. 130 likes. Helping You Make Sense of the Internet www.secure-by-design.com – 1-877-373-6121
Holovision | Secure By Design
Network security External links:
Home Network Security | Trend Micro
Firewall Management Software | Network Security Monitoring
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? – Definition from Techopedia
Information security External links:
Title & Settlement Information Security
ALTA – Information Security
Home directory External links:
Funeral Home Directory – Legacy.com
Veterans Home Directory – California
Computer access control External links:
New Text Document.txt | Computer Access Control | Password
Computer access control policy choices – ScienceDirect
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Multiple Independent Levels of Security External links:
[PDF]MILS Multiple Independent Levels of Security – ACSA)
Multiple Independent Levels of Security
http://Multiple Independent Levels of Security/Safety (MILS) is a high-assurance security architecture based on the concepts of separation and controlled information flow; implemented by separation mechanisms that support both untrusted and trustworthy components; ensuring that the total security solution is non-bypassable, evaluatable, always invoked and tamperproof.
Internet security External links:
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Internet Security, Protection and Support Plans by Verizon
CUJO AI Internet Security Firewall – Official Site
Screen scrape External links:
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
C standard library External links:
C Standard Library header files – cppreference.com
C Standard Library Functions – Programiz
C Standard Library Reference Tutorial – tutorialspoint.com
Computer virus External links:
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
Computer Virus – ABC News
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Secure coding External links:
Introduction to Secure Coding | MediaPro
Secure Coding | The CERT Division
Secure Coding Guideline – developer.force.com