What is involved in Strategic HR
Find out what the related areas are that Strategic HR connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Strategic HR thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Strategic HR journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Strategic HR leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Strategic HR related domains to cover and 140 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Strategic HR, Strategic human resource planning, BambooHR, Behavioural sciences, Best practice, Collaboration, Competency-based management, Contingency theory, Facebook, Gap analysis, Google+, Human resource management system, Human resources, Institutional theory, LinkedIn, Management information system, Organization development, Organizational culture, Organizational theory, Recruitment, Resource dependency theory, Restructuring, Social media, Strategic sourcing, Training and development:
Strategic HR Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Strategic HR results and get out your magnifying glass.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Strategic HR strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are all of our Strategic HR domains and what do they do?
– How do we Improve Strategic HR service perception, and satisfaction?
Strategic human resource planning Critical Criteria:
Drive Strategic human resource planning projects and change contexts.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Strategic HR. How do we gain traction?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Strategic HR moving forward?
BambooHR Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate BambooHR governance and find out.
– Who will provide the final approval of Strategic HR deliverables?
– Why should we adopt a Strategic HR framework?
Behavioural sciences Critical Criteria:
Chat re Behavioural sciences tactics and probe the present value of growth of Behavioural sciences.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Strategic HR Management?
– Which Strategic HR goals are the most important?
– How is the value delivered by Strategic HR being measured?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Sort Best practice risks and devise Best practice key steps.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What standards, guidelines, best practices, and tools are organizations using to understand, measure, and manage risk at the management, operational, and technical levels?
– Do those selected for the Strategic HR team have a good general understanding of what Strategic HR is all about?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– What are the best practices for implementing an internal site search?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What are the long-term Strategic HR goals?
Collaboration Critical Criteria:
Steer Collaboration projects and create a map for yourself.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Strategic HR in a volatile global economy?
– The Product Owner and the Team collaborate to do the best for the business. Each collaboration results in an improved ROI. But how much of an improvement?
– What kind of governance model is needed to enhance the collaboration of commercial and technical product portfolio owners over life cycle?
– How does our CRM collaboration software integrate well with Google services like Google Apps and Google Docs?
– Among the Strategic HR product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What would be needed to support collaboration on data sharing across economic sectors?
– What would be needed to support collaboration on data sharing in your sector?
– Are there other statutes that encourage collaboration?
– Challengers, collaborations or mandated policy?
– Who sets the Strategic HR standards?
– Why are Strategic HR skills important?
Competency-based management Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Competency-based management tasks and know what your objective is.
– Think about the functions involved in your Strategic HR project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Strategic HR effort?
– Who needs to know about Strategic HR ?
Contingency theory Critical Criteria:
Check Contingency theory issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Contingency theory information.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Strategic HR?
– What are current Strategic HR Paradigms?
Facebook Critical Criteria:
Jump start Facebook projects and finalize the present value of growth of Facebook.
– Facebook: does using facebook for discussions in an online course enhance perceived social presence and student interaction?
– Does using Facebook for discussions in an online course enhance perceived social presence and student interaction?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Strategic HR processes of our organization?
– Why is it so hard to develop a mental model of facebooks information architecture?
– Why are investors so optimistic about facebook?
– How would one define Strategic HR leadership?
– How do we keep improving Strategic HR?
Gap analysis Critical Criteria:
Track Gap analysis engagements and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Gap analysis decisions.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Strategic HR forward?
– Have you identified your Strategic HR key performance indicators?
– How to deal with Strategic HR Changes?
Google+ Critical Criteria:
Gauge Google+ adoptions and forecast involvement of future Google+ projects in development.
– Do the Strategic HR decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Strategic HR been identified and analyzed?
– What are internal and external Strategic HR relations?
Human resource management system Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Human resource management system strategies and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Human resource management system information.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Strategic HR products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Strategic HR objectives?
– Does the Strategic HR task fit the clients priorities?
Human resources Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Human resources management and find out what it really means.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Strategic HR? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– what is to keep those with access to some of an individuals personal data from browsing through other parts of it for other reasons?
– How often do we hold meaningful conversations at the operating level among sales, finance, operations, IT, and human resources?
– Do we identify desired outcomes and key indicators (if not already existing) such as what metrics?
– What are strategies that we can undertake to reduce job fatigue and reduced productivity?
– Available personnel – what are the available Human Resources within the organization?
– How is Staffs willingness to help or refer questions to the proper level?
– Can you think of other ways to reduce the costs of managing employees?
– What decisions can you envision making with this type of information?
– How does the company provide notice of its information practices?
– Do you have Human Resources available to support your policies?
– What will be your Human Resources needs for the first year?
– What are ways to reduce the costs of managing employees?
– Does the hr plan make sense to our stakeholders?
– How is the Ease of navigating the hr website?
– Who should appraise performance?
– Can you trust the algorithm?
– What is our Strategic HR Strategy?
– What is personal data?
Institutional theory Critical Criteria:
Align Institutional theory decisions and arbitrate Institutional theory techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Strategic HR project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Strategic HR?
– Does our organization need more Strategic HR education?
LinkedIn Critical Criteria:
Adapt LinkedIn goals and find answers.
– Which customers cant participate in our Strategic HR domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Strategic HR process?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Strategic HR processes?
Management information system Critical Criteria:
Guard Management information system risks and give examples utilizing a core of simple Management information system skills.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Strategic HR into the services that we provide?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Strategic HR ?
– How do we go about Comparing Strategic HR approaches/solutions?
Organization development Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Organization development visions and develop and take control of the Organization development initiative.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Strategic HR workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are we Assessing Strategic HR and Risk?
Organizational culture Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Organizational culture failures and revise understanding of Organizational culture architectures.
– What do we need to know, and how do we get the information required to answer this question, especially with regard to our organizational culture, technological roadmap, and where both organizations are moving in the long term?
– How is the way you as the leader think and process information affecting your organizational culture?
– What is the source of the strategies for Strategic HR strengthening and reform?
– Will the organizational culture support new values of the agile team?
– What threat is Strategic HR addressing?
Organizational theory Critical Criteria:
Graph Organizational theory governance and oversee implementation of Organizational theory.
– Is a Strategic HR Team Work effort in place?
Recruitment Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Recruitment goals and find out.
– The first thing you want to ask yourself when looking to purchase an ats is, what features does the ats need to have in order for our recruitment efforts to be successful?
– Do key members of your hr, recruitment, or management team regularly travel or work from outside of the office? If so, how will they access the ats?
– Has e-recruitment increased level of applicants and expanded geographically candidates locations?
– Who determines the it security staffing and recruitment strategy in your organization?
– How will e-recruitment/applicant tracking system improve recruitment process?
– Which recruitment channels give us the candidates with the right profile?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Strategic HR requirements in detail?
– What kind of feedback do you get for implementation of e-recruitment?
– What kind of changes do you see in future of hr and e-recruitment?
– What kind of e-recruitment program your company has implemented?
– Is e-recruitment economically beneficial for your company?
– Is recruitment of staff with strong data skills crucial?
– How is e-recruitment applied in your company?
Resource dependency theory Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Resource dependency theory goals and summarize a clear Resource dependency theory focus.
– Consider your own Strategic HR project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Strategic HR services/products?
– Does Strategic HR systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Restructuring Critical Criteria:
See the value of Restructuring governance and proactively manage Restructuring risks.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Strategic HR leader?
– Will joining an exchange force restructuring?
– Do we all define Strategic HR in the same way?
Social media Critical Criteria:
Investigate Social media goals and describe which business rules are needed as Social media interface.
– In the past year, have companies generally improved or worsened in terms of how quickly you feel they respond to you over social media channels surrounding a general inquiry or complaint?
– Are business intelligence solutions starting to include social media data and analytics features?
– What methodology do you use for measuring the success of your social media programs for clients?
– Which of the following are reasons you use social media when it comes to Customer Service?
– What is our approach to Risk Management in the specific area of social media?
– How have you defined R.O.I. from a social media perspective in the past?
– Do you have any proprietary tools or products related to social media?
– What social media dashboards are available and how do they compare?
– Do you offer social media training services for clients?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media a better investment than SEO?
Strategic sourcing Critical Criteria:
Unify Strategic sourcing planning and learn.
– What are the disruptive Strategic HR technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– In a project to restructure Strategic HR outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Training and development Critical Criteria:
Investigate Training and development failures and customize techniques for implementing Training and development controls.
– How will you measure your Strategic HR effectiveness?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Strategic HR Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Strategic HR External links:
HR Line of Business Strategic HR – OPM.gov
strategic HR, inc. Home – strategic HR, inc.
2018 Strategic HR Forum – hrps.org
Strategic human resource planning External links:
Strategic human resource planning – YouTube
Strategic human resource planning | KnowledgeBrief Manage
BambooHR External links:
BambooHR (@bamboohr) | Twitter
My Account — BambooHR Partners
BambooHR – Official Site
Behavioural sciences External links:
Jindal Institute of Behavioural Sciences – Home | Facebook
Best practice External links:
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
ALTA – Best Practices
What is best practice? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Collaboration External links:
Kahua – Business to Business Collaboration Platform
Competency-based management External links:
Competency-Based Management—An Integrated …
[PDF]Competency-Based Management—An Integrated …
Contingency theory External links:
Contingency theory – IS Theory
Contingency Theory Essay – 536 Words – StudyMode
[PPT]CONTINGENCY THEORY – Professor Ahmed’s Blog
Facebook External links:
Facebook – Log In or Sign Up
Donald J. Trump – Home | Facebook
Facebook (@facebook) | Twitter
Gap analysis External links:
How to conduct a skills gap analysis | Workable
How to Write a Gap Analysis Report | Chron.com
How to Perform a Technology Gap Analysis for Your Business
Human resource management system External links:
Human Resource Management System – Washington
Human Resource Management System (HRMS) – Oracle
[PDF]Human Resource Management System
Human resources External links:
Human Resources Job Titles | Enlighten Jobs
Human Resources Job Titles – The Balance
Office of Human Resources – TITLE IX
Institutional theory External links:
Neo Institutional Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
Management information system External links:
Homeless Management Information System – LAHSA
Commissioned Corps Management Information System
TAMIS – Total Ammunition Management Information System
Organization development External links:
National Center for Organization Development
What is Organization Development? – OD Network
Organizational culture External links:
4 Types of Organizational Culture – ArtsFwdArtsFwd
Organizational culture is the behavior of humans who are part of an organization and the meanings that the people attach to their actions. Culture includes the organization values, visions, norms, working language, systems, symbols, beliefs and habits.
The Four Types of Organizational Culture – POPin
Organizational theory External links:
Principles of Organizational Theory | Chron.com
Organizational Theory Flashcards | Quizlet
Amazon.com: Organizational Theory, Design, and Change (7th Edition) (9780132729949): Gareth R. Jones: Books
Recruitment External links:
Recruitment Marketing Engine
Future of Recruitment Conference – Recruitment Trends 2018
Resource dependency theory External links:
Resource dependency theory – IS Theory
Institutional and Resource Dependency Theory – YouTube
Restructuring External links:
Restructuring Information – Cumulus Media
Financial Restructuring Board for Local Governments
UW Colleges and UW-Extension Restructuring
Social media External links:
10 people who learned social media can get you fired – CNN
Strategic sourcing External links:
Strategic Sourcing – Intuit
Category Management and Strategic Sourcing Defined
What is strategic sourcing? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Training and development External links:
7 Training and Development – USPS
Training and Development: Needs Analysis
Employee Training and Development Policy – Workable