What is involved in Product Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Product Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Data Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Data Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Data Management related domains to cover and 129 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Data Management, Change management, Computer-aided design, Configuration management, End-of-life, Engineering change notice, Engineering change order, Enterprise resource planning, Metadata, New product introduction, Product, Product lifecycle management, Version control:
Product Data Management Critical Criteria:
Chat re Product Data Management leadership and find out what it really means.
– Identifying what tasks require a particular tool –which tasks associated with the current configuration use a particular tool?
– How to keep the information needed to operate and maintain a product aligned with the changing product over its life cycle?
– What is the format of the information and what form does it need to be stored in?
– Can product data be used as an aid in the creation and maintenance of PLCS data?
– Which system should receive the Change Notification, PMS MIS or PMS CSDB?
– What system, if any, provides document numbers for Training Material?
– Do we have immediate access to up-to-date and relevant information?
– File availability is the assigned external file available?
– Version check is the correct property version available?
– What system, if any, provides document numbers?
– How frequently do we need to access the data?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– How do we Lead with Product Data Management in Mind?
– What are the benefits of using PDM?
– How should the association be made?
– What information should we archive?
– What is the information context?
– Is PDM a good fit?
– Who is using PDM?
– Meet design spec?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Change management decisions and document what potential Change management megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– The objective of Change Management is to ensure that standard methods and procedures are used, such that changes can be dealt with quickly, with the lowest possible impact on service quality. all changes should be traceable, in other words, one can answer the question, what changed? Do we do this?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Product Data Management project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Product Data Management project lifecycle?
– What steps have executives included in the Change Management plan to identify and address customers and stakeholders concerns about the specific process to be reengineered?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Product Data Management moving forward?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– Are accountability and ownership for Product Data Management clearly defined?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What are common barriers to using Change Management in practice?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– What are the primary barriers to effective Change Management?
– When is Change Management used on a project at which level?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– When is Change Management used on a project?
– What is workplace Change Management?
– What is Change Management?
Computer-aided design Critical Criteria:
Adapt Computer-aided design decisions and report on developing an effective Computer-aided design strategy.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Product Data Management services/products?
– What are the disruptive Product Data Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What are specific Product Data Management Rules to follow?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Configuration management engagements and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Are structures, systems and components within the CM Program tested periodically to determine if they are still capable of meeting design requirements?
– How do you stabilize a codeline for an impending release while also allowing new work to continue on an active codeline?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– Have test requirements, for acceptance and integration testing, and Configuration Management been developed?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a DevOps strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Can we answer questions like: Do the attributes of the configuration object reflect the change?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the relationships between cis established?
– When: when do you start to place an entity under configuration control?
– What are direct advantages of entering into Service Level Agreements?
– If all requirements are not met, are deficiencies identified?
– Why implement a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Which of the entities should be configuration items?
– Do design documents match inventory reports?
– Is the change necessary, and if so, why?
– How many reported faults for version y?
– What is the last mile connectioin?
– What goes under version control?
– How does it relate to itil?
– Who makes changes?
End-of-life Critical Criteria:
Differentiate End-of-life visions and create a map for yourself.
– What are the key elements of your Product Data Management performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How will you know that the Product Data Management project has been successful?
Engineering change notice Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Engineering change notice outcomes and work towards be a leading Engineering change notice expert.
– What are the business goals Product Data Management is aiming to achieve?
– What are the usability implications of Product Data Management actions?
– Are there recognized Product Data Management problems?
Engineering change order Critical Criteria:
Mine Engineering change order planning and describe the risks of Engineering change order sustainability.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Product Data Management?
– Why are Product Data Management skills important?
Enterprise resource planning Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Enterprise resource planning visions and transcribe Enterprise resource planning as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Product Data Management with what users do day-to-day?
– Is Product Data Management Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How can we improve Product Data Management?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Canvass Metadata tasks and balance specific methods for improving Metadata results.
– Is it necessary only to make the metadata discoverable, with links to the data files, or is deeper support for manipulating the data needed?
– Are the appropriate metadata standards including those for encoding and transmission of metadata information established?
– do not forget to look at the data itself. how can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– Describe the type of data (e.g. digital, non-digital) and how they will be generated? Are these primary or metadata?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– What data do our providers collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– How can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– Are there established qualitative and quantitative measures of metaData Quality?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Product Data Management effort?
– Which metadata standard will be used or will a local schema be created?
– Can the ceo explain the roi for search and metadata?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– Which metadata standards will you use?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– What metadata standard will be used?
– What form will the metadata take?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
– Can metadata be loaded?
New product introduction Critical Criteria:
Align New product introduction outcomes and optimize New product introduction leadership as a key to advancement.
– Does Product Data Management create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are all of our Product Data Management domains and what do they do?
– What is our formula for success in Product Data Management ?
Product Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Product risks and drive action.
– Can visitors/customers easily find all relevant information about your products (e.g., prices, options, technical specifications, quantities, shipping information, order status) on your website?
– Are all production systems (servers and network components) hardened by removing all unnecessary services and protocols installed by the default configuration?
– When youre thinking about all the different ways a product may be used in the future, do you stop at three, five, or 10 years in the future?
– When M&TE is found to be out of calibration does the supplier have a method for determining the impact on previously accepted products?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Product Data Management products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How does one find resources for a good project when that is the only project being considered at the meeting?
– Do you have enough of the right resources to handle projects currently in your pipeline?
– Have there been any changes to the products investment process over the past five years?
– What are the most effective ways for us to improve the productivity of our sales force?
– What are the organizational considerations when selecting an it security product?
– When shipping a product, do you send tracking information to the customer?
– How are product and product portfolio ownerships organized currently?
– What is the cost of not providing visibility of pending change?
– Which product life-cycle stage, if any,is the most important?
– Does the product fit into the current product mix?
– What specific security products should we select?
– What is one way product concepts are tested?
– Is the software system productive?
– What are the key risks?
– What is a new product?
Product lifecycle management Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Product lifecycle management issues and customize techniques for implementing Product lifecycle management controls.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Product Data Management information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Product Data Management study?
– How important is Product Data Management to the user organizations mission?
Version control Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Version control quality and overcome Version control skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Product Data Management process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Product Data Management process available?
– How can you experiment with a complex change and benefit from the version control system without making the change public?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Product Data Management strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What business benefits will Product Data Management goals deliver if achieved?
– Will you be using a standard naming format and version control?
– How do we improve the way that we use version control?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Data Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Data Management External links:
Teamcenter Product Data Management PDM in Solid Edge …
ECBC Product Data Management System Account Request
Product Data Management | PDM | Epicor
Change management External links:
Change Management Models & Process | Change Activation
What is change management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
The Change Compass – Change Management Heat Map
Computer-aided design External links:
Computer-Aided Design – Journal – Elsevier
Configuration management External links:
SecureWorks Cloud Security Configuration Management
CMPIC – Configuration Management Training and …
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
End-of-life External links:
My Life & Wishes : End-of-Life Plans for Your Loved Ones
Crossroads Hospice: End-of-Life Family Care Services
Engineering change notice External links:
[PDF]Engineering Change Notice – allhome.store
[PDF]ENGINEERING CHANGE NOTICE FORM – Ecliptek
Job Information: Engineering Change Notice (ECN) Analyst …
Engineering change order External links:
What is an engineering change order? | Engines – Quora
Jira Engineering Change Order Log Document
Enterprise resource planning External links:
Enterprise resource planning software and ERP system …
Enterprise Resource Planning
Enterprise Resource Planning System | Hill International
Metadata External links:
[PDF]GIS Metadata Title: Protection Districts
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
Title Metadata Guide – IngramSpark
New product introduction External links:
New Product Introduction – Sketch-to-Scale™ Solutions | …
What Is New Product Introduction? : Valuestreamguru
New Product Introduction Engineer
Product External links:
CutePDF :: Product :: CutePDF Writer
The Melaleuca Product Store
Product return and recycling | HP® Official Site
Product lifecycle management External links:
Omnify Software – Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) …
Rethinking Product Lifecycle Management | …
CMPROficiency | Product Lifecycle Management Software
Version control External links:
VisualSVN – Subversion-based version control for Windows
Simul | Version Control for Microsoft Word | Simul …
Penflip – collaborative writing and version control